One Civic Block: McGee’s Dream
James McGee was persistent about having Town Hall on his tract. In 1899 he leased six blocks to the city for the relocation of the old Town Hall from the northwest corner of University and Sacramento to the corner of Strawberry Creek (near Allston Way) and Sherman St. (Now MLK. Jr.). It later burned down and was replaced in 1908/09 by the present City Hall. (see other panels for more on present City Hall). Police and Fire headquarters and medical services were in the basement.